British Motor Museums

Milestones Museum

Milestones Museum of Living History Many aspects of bygone life including a 1940’s sweetshop ! Thornycroft vehicles on display include steam and petrol cars, which finished production in 1912. The main transport exhibits are various commercial vehicles all of which were made in Basingstoke. Thornycroft started out with steam vans and lorries. From 1931, Thornycroft used names for their vehicle range - descriptive and colourful ones. In 1948, the company name was changed to Transport Equipment (Thornycroft) Ltd to prevent confusion with the shipbuilding Thornycroft company. The company was well known for providing fire-engine chassis, with multi-axle drive for uses such as airports. They were taken over in 1961 by AEC an ACV subsidiary and production was limited to Nubians, Big Bens and Antars, although the Thornycroft-designed six-speed constant mesh gearbox was used in AEC and later medium weight Leyland trucks. ACV was then taken over by Leyland in 1962. Thornycroft's Basingstoke factory was closed in 1969.


Milestones Museum, Leisure Park, Churchill Way West, Basingstoke
RG22 6PG


Phone: 01962 869836


Share this museum